Santa Cruz County
CA

Agenda Item
DOC-2020-844

Approve amendment to agreement with Second Harvest Food Bank, increasing the County share of cost by $300,000 for a new not-to-exceed amount of $1,887,000, for provision of emergency food and distribution in response to increased food insecurity resulting from the COVID-19 public health emergency, and take related actions, as recommended by the Director of Human Services

Information

Department:Human Services Department: Administration Services DivisionSponsors:Human Services Director Randy Morris
Category:HSD - Board Memo - All Div

Financial Impact

The COVID-19 public health emergency food procurement costs under this agreement are to be included in the County FEMA claim for reimbursement. 75% of these costs are reimbursable under the FEMA Emergency FPD Public Assistance program. The remaining 25% of the cost is sourced through a local match provided by Second Harvest Food Bank. Approval of the attached agreement does not require additional General Fund contribution. Contract: 20W4068 A05/Emergency Requisition: E0060 • GL Key/Object: 391300/61310 • JL Key: W2DHVST WFOOD

Board Letter

Recommended Action(s):

Approve an amendment to the agreement with the Second Harvest Food Bank, increasing the County contract cost by $300,000 to a new County cost not to exceed amount of $1,887,000, for provision of emergency food and distribution in response to increased food insecurity in Santa Cruz County resulting from the COVID-19 public health emergency; and authorize the Human Services Director to execute the amendment.

 

Executive Summary

As part of the response to the COVID-19 pandemic emergency response, the County has contracted with the Second Harvest Food Bank (SHFB) to purchase and distribute emergency foods to help offset the increase in food insecurity throughout Santa Cruz County. The attached fifth amendment to the agreement increases the County share of cost by $300,000 and the SHFB local match by $100,000, for a total contract cost of $2,516,000, requiring Board approval.

 

Background

On March 4, 2020, the County’s Health Officer declared a local health emergency based on an imminent and proximate threat to public health from the COVID-19 coronavirus, including a Shelter in Place order. The Board then declared a local emergency pursuant to Government Code Section 8630 at the Board's meeting on March 10, 2020. On April 28, 2020, the General Services Department (GSD) was authorized to enter into COVID-19 response related service contracts up to $1,000,000.

 

Under the Presidents March 13, 2020 Nationwide Emergency Declaration for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), subsequent major disaster declarations for COVID-19, and the US Department of Homeland Security Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) policy FP 104-010-03, Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic: Purchase and Distribution of Food Eligible for Public Assistance, the County of Santa Cruz applied for and received approval for assistance under the FEMA Public Assistance (PA) Program. In 30-day increments, FEMA is authorizing continued retroactive and prospective approval for reimbursement of costs associated with the emergency purchase and distribution of food (Emergency FPD) in response to the impacts on food security resulting from what FEMA has termed as the DR-4482-CA, California COVID-19 Pandemic. To date, FEMA has approved four 30-day extensions of reimbursement of eligible FPD costs.

 

SHFB reported a nearly doubled increase in food distribution from an average of 150,000 pounds per week prior to Shelter in Place to a current average of 280,000 pounds per week, a 140,000 pound per week increase. A year-to-year comparison shows typical food distribution levels for April and May would be 1,300,000 pounds and this year it is was 2,390,000 pounds. SHFB reports an observable deepening of this need as the pandemic continues and economic stimulus supports expire. Concurrently, food donations from local retailers, manufacturers and growers are down while food purchase costs have increased significantly with longer delivery times due to supply chain disruptions.

 

Under FEMA authorization, and utilizing the Board approved GSD COVID-19 related contract process, the County contracted with the SHFB for Emergency FPD, which has been necessary to address food insecurity exacerbated by the COVID-19 public health emergency, and to support ongoing shelter in place efforts for County residents. The County has amended the SHFB agreement to correspond with the three 30-day time extensions of reimbursement eligible Emergency FPD costs.

 

The agreement and its first two amendments were approved in 30-day increments under the emergency procurement authority approved by the Board on April 28, 2020. Due to exceeding the threshold amount set in the emergency procurement authority approved by the Board, a third amendment extending the term through September 6, 2020 was presented to and approved by the Board on September 1, 2020. A fourth amendment extended the term through October 6, 2020 was approved by the Board on October 6, 2020.

 

Analysis

As previously reported to the Board, food insecurity and increased food needs in our community are anticipated to remain elevated for no less than the next 30-day FEMA approved increment. The Board is being requested to prospectively approve a fifth amendment to this agreement in anticipation of FEMA's extension of the Emergency FPD program for an additional 30 days to November 6, 2020. The attached fifth amendment increases the total agreement amount by $400,000 to $2,516,000 requiring Board approval. Under the terms of the agreement, SHFB, through donations and in-kind contribution, provides a 25% local match and County provides the remaining 75%, which is reimbursable through FEMA. The terms of the amendment agreement also indicate that the agreement will terminate if FEMA does not approve the next 30-day increment.

Body

Strategic Plan Element(s)

1.A. Comprehensive Health and Safety (Health Equity)

1.B. Comprehensive Health & Safety (Community Support)

Meeting History

Oct 20, 2020 9:00 AM Video Board of Supervisors Regular Meeting

Amendment No. 20W4068

RESULT:APPROVED [UNANIMOUS]
MOVER:John Leopold, First District Supervisor
SECONDER:Ryan Coonerty, Third District Supervisor
AYES:John Leopold, Zach Friend, Ryan Coonerty, Greg Caput, Bruce McPherson

Discussion